To obtain an Large Goods Vehicle or Passenger Carrying Vehicle licence, you first need to apply for the correct provisional entitlements on your driving licence and include a medical report.


You will then need to pass:


* Theory and Hazard Perception Tests


* Practical Driving Test


If you want to drive a bus or lorry for a living you’ll also need to complete the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC).


Driving Licence Requirements:

For driver licensing, lorries are called Large Goods Vehicles (LGVs) and buses or coaches are called Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCVs). Before you can train to become a LGV or PCV driver you must normally be aged over 18 and hold a full car licence (category B entitlement). You’ll then need to add the right provisional entitlements to your licence.


The type of driving licence entitlement you need depends on the ‘maximum authorised mass’ (MAM) of the vehicle you want to drive. If you pass your driving test in categories C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E, after 19 January 2013 you’ll get a licence valid for 5 years.


Every 5 years up to age 45, you’ll need to sign a declaration to show you still meet the medical standards. When you renew your licence, you’ll receive a licence valid for 5 years.


Every time you renew you’ll need to confirm you still meet the medical-standards.


LGV/HGV & PCV Training Information Line: 0800 856 4670


photo copy 5 Rounded square Rounded square Rounded square Rounded square LGV2

We use "cookies" on this site to collect information and data to improve services.

Professional Driver Training (ADR, LGV, PCV): London, Birmingham, Bradford, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Portsmouth + Nationwide Locations

50dbe5e217ff8 Online Theory Training